Dblog is the interwebositry for all things creative, inspirational and elegant from D's world of art, design, cinema, T.V., comics, toys and pop culture. Drop me line or an interesting link any time...

1.5.13

The Designer Says




From the book The Designer Says featured on Co. Design some inspiring words of wisdom from some of the worlds greatest designers...

"The nature of process, to one degree or another, involves failure. You have at it. It doesn’t work. You keep pushing. It gets better. But it’s not good. It gets worse. You got at it again. Then you desperately stab at it, believing “this isn’t going to work.” And it does!"
Saul Bass 

"It is important to use your hands. This is what distinguishes you from a cow or a computer operator."
Paul Rand


"I have a bunch of calendars I used before I went digital. Every once in a while, I’ll open up one from 1991 and look at all the names and appointments and things that, at the time, seemed so important. Meetings that I was really worried about, things that I was getting calls four times a day about, and I wonder, “Where did it all go? Where are they now?” It’s so strange, everything has disappeared. The only thing that stays behind is the work."
Michael Bierut 


"My work is play. And I play when I design. I even looked it up in the dictionary, to make sure that I actually do that, and the definition of “play,” number one, was “engaging in a childlike activity or endeavor,” and number two was “gambling.” And I realize I do both when I’m designing."
Paula Scher 


"My dream is to have people working on useless projects. These have the germ of new concepts."
Charles Eames 

No comments:

Post a Comment