Dblog is the interwebositry for all things creative, inspirational and elegant from D's world of art, design, cinema, T.V., comics, toys and pop culture. Drop me line or an interesting link any time...

26.3.14

DTV

True Detective

A good friend with a (mostly) like-minded taste in T.V. recommended True Detective. All I can say four episodes in, is phenomenal (and thanks!). Starring Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson it is a hard boiled, deep south detective drama, told from multiple perspectives and timelines. It has a gorgeous saturated palette, gritty visuals, stunning scenery and original, complex characters (I'll take a breath now). It is a harrowing joy to watch from the moment the titles begin, like David Fincher does Twin Peaks and watch for a 6 minute 'Children of Men' style one-take in Episode 4! Interestingly it's an Anthology, each season a different story with different characters...

Community

If you were a fan of the popular Advanced Dungeons and Dragons episode (see above) make sure you check out this season's sequel; Dungeons & Dragons pitting new regular Mike from Breaking Bad against his son Tobias Funke from Arrested Development (or at least said actors) in a surprisingly accurate and tender (if also slightly embarrassing) homage to my favorite hobby. Not as great as the first but a must for fans of the show or hobby!

Walking Dead

Walking Dead is an interesting one. I love it (and its comic source material) but it really divides fans in a most haphazard way. There is generally a sort of agreement with most series as to which one was good or not, every time I speak to a fellow fan, it's all over the place... So I say this knowing that obviously we all want something different form a Zombie T.V. series; but the second half of the fourth and current season has been my favorite. Without spoiling too much, it is everything I want from a Zombie apocalypse take; Like World War Z (the book) it describes a series of short and varied personal experiences of survival, whilst integrating a few of the better short storylines from the comic.

Dexter

With a bit of free time on my hands I was determined to go back and finish Dexter after stalling with Season 3 (a common pattern it appears after talking to a few friends) and I'm glad I did. I found Dexter to be a pretty solid series from beginning till end, which I think also did a great job of wrapping things up. Definitely worth returning too and persisting if you're a lapsed watcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment